The Ethical Choice- Show Love: Buy Local, Shop Small
When you buy out-of-season produce, e.g. raspberries or strawberries in December, your eco-credentials become lower. The same applies to purchasing any food product that has been flown from outside your country or is wrapped in layers of (unnecessary) plastic. By shopping locally, and independently, (bakers, farm shops, green grocers…) it is less likely that the produce has travelled an unthinkable distance in order to get onto your plate. Not only does this support local farmers, but the produce will be wrapped in less (or even no) packaging and is fresher. The same applies to non-food goods and services.
This is just one positive, others include:
- It is often possible to try before you buy!
- It may be cheaper
- Advice can be sought if required
- It helps build your community, get social!
- It support local businesses and entrepreneurs
- Independent shops often sell unique and unusual products
- It boosts the local economy