This is something I put off trying for years, but as soon as I started my quest to reduce my waste, I bought some, and have been using soapnuts ever since! An eco-friendly alternative to laundry detergent and synthetic soaps, they are natural and non-polluting. But for me, with sensitive skin, which goes blotchy with many conventional laundry detergents (and softeners!), I was particularly nervous about changing from the one I have used for well over 30 years…
I am delighted to say that I am more than pleased with the results! Not skin irritation, clothes are both clean and fresh-smelling when they come out of the washing machine and (best of all) they work out just as cheap as the conventional laundry detergent – I even found I could get more washes out of them than they recommend! AND they take up less space!
They are easy to use – I places 4 or 5 nuts in a small cotton bag (included with purchase) and tie up the bag. I place this in the machine with the washing. I have 3 or 4 bags on a go, as the nuts are to be dried between washes, and now the system is in place, I don’t even think about it anymore!
What Are Soapnuts?
Soap nuts / soapnuts / soapberries are actually dried fruit shells which contain real natural soap and are 100% completely natural.
Soapnut fruits actually contain a natural soap called saponin. When they come into contact with water the saponin is released . They help free dirt and grime from clothes and help carry it away (this is how all synthetic detergents work … but soapnuts are 100% natural and organic and contains no harmful chemicals).
- 100% Biodegradable & Compostable
- Certified Vegan – By The Vegan Society
- Certified Organic – Living Naturally Soapnuts are certified organic by USDA, India Organic & EcoCert
- Hypoallergenic – The main reason soapnuts are hypoallergenic is because they are a fruit, and it is very rare to have a fruit allergy. However, just to be sure, the natural soap in the soapnuts have been tested by dermatologists and 100% of subjects* tested had ZERO reaction (noticeable irritation) after 48 hours of exposure. It is nice when modern science can prove what ancient civilisations have known all along! *Skin Irritation Test consisted of 52 subjects with Fitzpatrick skin types 2 & 3
- Cruelty-Free – Living Naturally soapnuts and soapnut products do not contribute to any environmental, human or animal abuse. Living Naturally audit their suppliers regularly, they do not test their products on animals, and ensure their ingredients aren’t contributing to deforestation or environmental damage.
- Anti-fungal & Anti-microbial – Soapnuts have been tested and found to have mild anti-fungal and anti-microbial activity.
- Palm Oil Free – We are a palm-oil free brand and do not use any palm oil in any of our products. Natural Softener
- Safe For Colours
- Safe On Specialist Fabrics
- Easy To Use
- 100% Natural
- No fillers
- No foaming agents
Laundry Product Options at Living Naturally
Living naturally offer a variety of products in the soapnut range for laundry, including:
- Organic Soapnut Laundry Starter Packs
- Liquid Soap
- Organic Soapnut Powder
- and a variety of refills / bulk options
Living Naturally offer a wide range of other eco-friendly and zero waste products and accessories – you can find the full range here.